Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Are Video Games a part of Your Program?

We do not allow video games in our libraries. In fact, our upper and middle school library doesn't allow games in general (including cards and board games). Kids are often noisy when cheering their friends on in a game, even noisier than they usually are in the library (a topic for a later post!). The students have a lounge on campus where they can play ping pong, chess, other board games, cards, and video games on the computer. They sometimes have video game tournaments on other platforms as well, but not in the library.

Public libraries have embraced video games, and I believe some public school libraries have as well. I just don't see the need or the value of video games at our library (however I do have a Wii and a PS3 at home for my husband and kids!). I even ignore that part of the library conferences and literature, although I do keep up with the studies done on the benefits of gaming in general. I wonder if I am missing something valuable. Are you offering video games and tournaments at your Independent School Library? Why or why not? And if you are, how it is working?

1 comment:

  1. We have different perspectives and views regarding Video Games. If others are using these as part of their library materials, they believe it is effective. If they don't, its their choice. But as far as I know, video games can inculcate knowledge and learning, as long as the video games to be used are pre-selected.

    ReplyDelete